Software Engineer (Back End Systems Developer)
We are looking for a talented and experienced backend systems developer to work principally on our portfolio of projects. These positions offer the opportunity to be an integral part of a close-knit team, and to take ownership of complex and interesting areas of the codebase as we look to push this fast-growing game on to the next level. Working closely with the Studio Director, Product Owner and Project Manager, the Mobile project allows you to express your backend application and architecture talents as well as to engage your problem solving skills across the breadth of our products.
These positions will suit someone motivated and detail-oriented, who will be happy to use their communication skills to push the rest of the team on to improve as well as to continue developing their own knowledge. While this is a mobile project, we develop our backend application in NodeJS on AWS infrastructure and value the skill and passion you can show us above mobile gaming experience.
- Own areas of the back end application and maintain and support them across all supported platforms.
- Design, develop and document APIs for the game to use
- Design, develop and document back end systems
- Improve and maintain existing backend applications.
- Contribute to the development of new user interface functionality
- Analyse, debug and fix issues.
- Plan, estimate and prioritize work.
- Work closely with artists, developers and producers to help push our games to be better
- Work with other teams at Invincibles Studio to help integrate shared code where necessary.
- Build tools to help improve our internal processes and workflows.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Strong server-side development experience utilizing Node.js, with a minimum of 4 years commercial experience. Good understanding of Node.js and its limitations, weaknesses, and workarounds
- Experience (minimum of 4 years commercial) developing for AWS infrastructure and using serverless tools/framework.
- API Gateway
- Step Functions
- Experience writing reusable libraries and clean, readable code.
- Experience working within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Solid understanding of Web/REST APIs.
- Proficient in CI/CD and DevOps processes.
- Strong hands-on experience using Git is required
- Ability to write clean, maintainable and modular code, using standard practices.
- Good debugging and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work closely with team members across all disciplines
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Experience building backend platforms for games
- An interest in and knowledge of game design.
- Experience building modular backend systems, such as microservice architecture.
- Experience using other VCS’s such as SVN.
- Knowledge of consuming APIs on the client.
- Knowledge of Unity & C#
- Knowledge of football
Invincibles Studio is a world leading developer of sports management simulations. Founded in 2006, Invincibles Studio is an independent games studio based primarily in Preston with a small studio in Leeds. The Invincibles Studio team continues to expand as it brings its titles to an ever-growing audience via an increasing variety of delivery platforms.
Invincibles Studio has enjoyed sustained commercial success for its extremely detailed and immersive simulation experiences. Its games are amongst the highest-rated mobile games and achieve millions of downloads each year.
The Invincibles Studio team is diverse, highly talented with a combined passion and drive for creating genre-defining games. Team members enjoy a flexible working schedule and a relaxed studio environment that encourages a close-knit, collaborative approach to game development.
Invincibles Studio is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
- Competitive salary (DoE);
- Bonus scheme;
- 35 hour working week – flexi-time & home working;
25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays and a Christmas Holiday break;
- Employee benefits schemes;
- An office ‘chill out room’ with table tennis, TV and darts board;
- ‘Fun Time Friday’ once a month – the company enjoys a fun activity during the day;
- Be a key player in the development and also influence the direction of one of the UK’s biggest mobile sports games studios;
- Work in a friendly, non-political, professional environment with a great atmosphere;
- You’ll be encouraged to learn and develop your skills and your career with Personal Development days with paid for training courses;
To register your interest in being shortlisted for interview, please send a CV with references and a portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org